Monday, April 20, 2015

Jurassic World Official Global Trailer Thoughts

This summer is going to be a telling summer for movie franchises that are trying to recapture the magic. Terminator, Mad Max, and Jurassic World all are trying to restart their franchises. Indy 4 failed to recapture. Terminator has failed to recapture it once already. The Hobbit trilogy was no where in the ballpark of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Is it even possible to recapture the magic? More movie franchises are going to try and recapture the magic soon, Ghostbusters and Harry Potter. We will find out this summer if it is possible. Terminator is already not looking good. But I doubt Mad Max will fail. I also doubt that Jurassic World will fail from the trailers we have seen.

Here is the trailer that dropped today!

Image Source

I felt the fear in this trailer. The first two Jurassic Parks movie had a lot of fear in them. I wouldn't call it horror just a sense of fear for the characters, fear of the dinosaurs, and just an atmosphere of fear.

First the characters. I love Chris Pratt. Probably my favorite actor right now. He killed it on Parks & Rec (which is funny because I hated his character at first). He was amazing in Guardians of the Galaxy. With the wrong lead, that movie fails. You needed someone super charismatic and really can pull the dramatic strings when the movie needed it. I also love him as Emmet in The Lego Movie. Again super charismatic in that movie too. First part of the trailer we get to see him earning the respect out of the raptors. If raptors respect him so should we. Vincent D'Onofrio makes his first trailer appearance and I like him already. I literally love the show Law & Order Criminal Intent because of him. Such a strong actor and brings so much intensity to his roles. Super pumped he is in the movie and I hope he plays a big part. "Light him up!" I have no problem with kids in the movie. It is traditional to have kids running from dinosaurs in a Jurassic movie and I am all for traditions in movies. If you like the characters, you are going to fear for them. Bryce Dallas Howard... not excited for her in the movie. She has not had good "luck" with movie franchises. She is my biggest concern for this movie.

From the trailers I have thought the dinosaurs looked good in the movie. There is no terrible Terminator CGI here. Some of the comments to the video on YouTube comment about bad CGI, I am not seeing bad CGI. I was nervous about the hybrid dinosaur when I first heard about the movie. After seeing what they are going for, I like the idea. At least a raptor/T-Rex hybrid sounds different and fresh. Speaking of T-Rex, we got a small siting of him/her and another goat! Poor goat.... I have a sneaky suspicion that the T-Rex will play a bigger part than we are seeing in the trailer. Raptor training is an interesting idea. I need to see how it plays out before I judge. I hope there is more than three raptors in the movie. Hybrid and Raptor training has got some negative comments and they mainly seem based on the fact they "created" a new dinosaur and Raptor training does not sound realistic. That is a tough argument for a movie about extinct dinosaurs that were brought back to life with Dino DNA from a sap covered mosquito with the help of frog DNA. If you have a problem with hybrid dino and trained raptors, you should have a problem with the whole concept of the movie franchise. We have not seen a lot of friendly dinosaur moments in the trailers, I hope there is some. Those were some of my favorite scenes in the first two. The other noticeable dinosaur leads into my last point.

The end of the trailer just has an atmosphere of fear. The pterodactyl attacking and snatching up the tourist with the music set a very terrifying seen. You shouldn't feel safe around dinosaurs (at least in my opinion) and that is the sense you get in this trailer. Once the D-Rex starts breaking them out, it is chaos and fear. Just like in the first one when the T-Rex busts out.

I am excited for this movie! We have not had a good dinosaur movie in a long time and this looks like it will deliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment