Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review Grades

Welcome back for post number 2! 

And I am sorry it is still not going to be an exciting one! I was going to start writing my first review and thought "How am I going to score/grade games?"

I started thinking that 1-10 would be good, but then I have to define the difference between 7-8 and 8-9 etc. So I thought let's do 1-5. Again what is the difference between 3-4 and 4-5. Thinking about most of the gaming sites and magazines I read and their review score systems, I realized most are using a numerical system. I come from a long line of teachers, so screw it, I am going to use letter grades! Everyone understands letter grades so me having to define them is not as big of a deal.

There is one other piece to my review scores: expectations matter. If I go into a game expecting high quality  and only get pretty good quality, that game is going to be penalized for it. That may be harsh and make it a little more difficult to judge game vs game and movie vs movie, but it is my belief that expectations matter and whether you like it or not it will always effect your feelings of a game.

Here is a quick break down of the my letter grades (game and movie are interchangeable):

A+ Cream of the crop. Legendary. The absolute best. I am going to make this very hard to get. (As a side note, I am going to review some of my favorite games to start so of course you will see a good amount of A+ work, but I promise it will not be the norm)

A Great Game but not legendary. A must own game.

A- Great Game, but there are a couple of things holding it back. Still a must own.

B+ Game that should be played, may not need to own or put a high priority to do

B Good Game that should be played

B- Maybe not a good game, but definitely better than average.

C Average. At this level no more pluses or minuses. You are what you are.

D Below Average, but not a complete train wreck.

F Failure. Train wreck.

Everything is set! Let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment