Saturday, February 21, 2015

Super Mario 3D Land Review

Image Source

It seems whenever you buy a Nintendo system, there is a Super Mario game that you must own. Super Mario 3D Land is that game for the Nintendo 3DS/2DS (wait why did he call out the 2DS??? Yeah I did because that is what I own! BOOM! Expect a 2DS review post in the future). This game is everything you hope for in a Super Mario game.

When I got my 2DS last year, I struggled between this game and New Super Mario Bros 2. You have to have a Super Mario game with a Nintendo system (there is a personal N64 story that comes with this, that I will have to tell some day) so I had to pick and I made a great choice. I enjoyed this game so much I got it for my 8 year old nephew for Christmas last year (shout out to Target for having a crazy Black Friday sale on it too!)

One of the reasons that I got a 2DS was because I did not have time to sit down and play video games for hours at a time anymore, because 1) I am not at home that much and 2) I have a 14 month old son. Super Mario 3D Land is a game that you could play for five minutes or 5 hours, if you really wanted to, because you can play one level and be done or plow through the whole game.

I really like the audience this game reaches too. My nephew and I, who are at completely different skill levels, can play and enjoy this game. All you need to do in each level is get to the end, but for more advanced players they can collect three golden coins hidden in each level, which can require certain powers and creative thinking. Also, there are special more difficult levels after completing the game the first time, a real value adder for those looking for more of a challenge (and it added Luigi to the equation!).

Since I have a 2DS, I cannot comment on the 3D in the game. IGN's Review praises the 3D in the game, so I am going to trust them. Without the 3D feature, it can be difficult to collect some of the Golden Coins, but it was not an issue.

I was a little underwhelmed by the power-up options in this game. Typically in a new Super Mario, a new power-up really shines, but while there is a new power-up, the Boomerang Flower, it was the classics that were the most important. I love Fire Power and the Tanooki Suit aka raccoon tail pictured below, but comparing the Power-Ups to my favorite Super Mario Games: Super Mario Bros. 3/Tanooki Suit, Super Mario World/Cape Feather, New Super Mario Bros Wii/Ice Flower, it felt a little like a missed opportunity.

Image Source

Speaking of comparing this to other Super Mario games, this is not the best ever. Some of the levels feel a little too short. I was beating some levels in a minute. I know there are special levels that double the game, but the main game feels too short compared to other Super Mario games. Also in previous games, I had way more concern for lives. This game I did not have that problem. Not being the best Super Mario game is not a knock on this game, it really speaks volumes to the quality of the Super Mario brand.

Final Verdict: A

Great game and should be owned by every 3DS/2DS owner. I don't think this will be remembered as the best Super Mario game ever, but it may be the best handheld Super Mario.


No comments:

Post a Comment