Monday, March 23, 2015

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Trailer Thoughts

Image Source

Movies usually do not sneak up on me, but yesterday and today Mission Impossible Rogue Nation snuck up on me. I went from not knowing when exactly MI5 was coming out to knowing when Rogue Nation is going to come out and I am pretty excited for it. I literally had/have a smile on my face after this trailer and thinking about it.

Here is the trailer. 

A trailer should get you excited for a movie. This trailer got me very excited for this movie. It just looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. While Bond is going a little darker and more gritty (which I have no problem with, I loved Skyfall), it is nice to have an action/spy movie franchise that is pretty much all about action set pieces, fun characters, and a plot that really is just there to drive the action set pieces.

One thing that MI has always had going for it is it's star: Tom Cruise. As an actor, he just makes great movies. Edge of Tomorrow (or Live Die Repeat or whatever you want to call it) was a great movie. Oblivion was a good movie. Age is not slowing him down. He is still an action star and I am glad that he hasn't stopped making action movies. I know that a lot of people dislike Tom Cruise off the big screen, but you cannot deny that he has/is/will continue making fun movies.

Simon Pegg has also been a great add to this series and really sets it apart from other franchises. He is just great comic relief, but he can also be serious. Just listen to his delivery at the 1:56 mark of the trailer. It sounds like that was unscripted; it rolls off so well. His character really is for the audience to help relate to. He is not going to shoot guns, hang from buildings, or get into a fight. He is there for the ride (and computer skills) and we are with him. Good humor in an action movie is really under appreciated.

As for the signature action set piece? That is featured in the poster and at the end of the trailer and I love it. Is it at all possible? Absolutely not, but who cares? There was crazy stuff in 1-4 that was not possible (you could say Impossible ;) ). Embrace the crazy action set pieces. Fast & Furious franchise is doing this too and I love that as well (although they are really starting to push my limit, which is driving a car out of a building into another building and ejecting from the car...really?). I am also glad Rogue Nation's signature action set piece will not feature a building. I believe 2, 3, and Ghost Protocol all had signature building action set pieces. Not that I don't like Ethan Hunt hanging from a building, but let's shake it up and have him hanging from a plane. I already am eager to know why the hell he is hanging from that plane and how is he going to get in it!

This summer is going to be an intense movie summer before really knowing what Rogue Nation was. Now that we know... Get your popcorn ready and buckle up for July 31st!


No comments:

Post a Comment