Saturday, March 7, 2015

Why I Watch and Like The Following

Image Source

This week marked the return of The Following! I feel like I am one of the few fans of this show. I can understand some of the hate, but this show is good enough to stay on the air. I see a lot of comments that Hannibal is a better show. That is true, but that doesn't mean this show shouldn't exist! Here is why I enjoy this show:

The main reason I enjoy The Following is I like the cast. Who does not like Kevin Bacon? Have you ever said to someone "I am not seeing that, Kevin Bacon is in it." I haven't. You have be to a well liked actor to have this associated with your name. Still don't believe me... Watch this. If Kevin Bacon is your lead, then you are a step ahead of other shows. Also, I like Shawn Ashmore aka Iceman with Kevin Bacon. I have the tendency to transfer over my enjoyment of one character from a different show/movie to the new show/movie that actor is in. I liked Iceman from the X-Men movie, so I like Mike Weston. James Purefoy is great as Joe Carroll. If Joe Carroll was played by a crappy actor, this show would not work no matter what. Even though Joe is the villain you never really want to see him die.

Image Source

Another reason I like this show? It is way over the top. Nothing close to this story is ever happening in real life, but I am completely cool with it. In the Series, Joe has now gone on three different killing rampages and prison escapes. Not possible. No way that anyone has a master plan this elaborate and it works to a T. Also no way that the FBI and people chasing him are this dumb/unlucky. YOu would think that they would catch a break at some point. I will say that the whole taking over a different Cult from season 2, pushed the limit. It proves that if James Purefoy is your Joe Carroll, you can get anyway with anything story-wise. Like I said, I am cool with all this. I am more invested in the characters then caring about if what is happening is really possible.

My biggest problem with the Series is it has been a little too happy killing off good characters (which is a funny statement since this show has way too many fake out deaths). My prime example is Jacob Wells from season 1. They really spent time developing his character. We got to see him struggle with everything that was happening and meet the people that really cared for him. I wanted more of him and less of Emma. Emma was a good character, but Jacob became a wild card that I would loved to see more of. Clearly they were probably going for this feeling with killing off Jacob. With the continual killing off of good characters, new characters are continually added and they are carbon copies of the characters that were killed off or not as well developed. I get based on the nature of the show, a lot of characters have to go, but it is still tough.

My season 3 thoughts: I have seen the first episode and it was typical The Following. I like where Mark Gray's character is going, something crazy and different for the show. I am really excited about Michael Ealy joining the show. He was great in Almost Human playing an android and I can picture that transitioning into a emotionless serial killer nicely. I am also interested to see how Joe comes back this season. He better not escape another prison.

I don't know what would have to happen in this show for me to consider that it jumped the shark, but it would have to be crazy. So I am invested until the end. If that is just this season, then fine. Hopefully we get a couple more and they only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment